Tuesday 10 February 2009

Hormonal imbalances and other Jelly traits...

I LOVE my course right now!!!

After weeks of complete apathy, I'm well and truly head over heels for Medicine again. We've just completed the Endocrine system (well, we have the plenary problem session tomorrow) and are getting stuck into Reproductive.

Literally.

I had my (gloved) hand in a pouch of Douglas today! It's so deep! Ok, so sticking my hand inside a cadaver is nothing new, and it's standard anatomy class stuff, but it was so awesome. Studying reproductive anatomy this week has really made me look at the human body and go "WOW".

The uterus is so cute! Womb Service! Hehe...

Seriously though, I am so up for surgery! I want the anatomy I'm learning to be be daily relevant. I want to spend the rest of my working life slicing into a body cavity and exhaling in wonder at the neatness of everything, the perfect tangle of nerves and vessels, the smoothness of peritoneal layers.

I'm so super loved up with anatomy. The difference between this term and last is that I spent three hours last night watching Aclands, so I actually knew what I was looking at in the DR today. Which meant no blank looks when the green coats started asking questions :) I love being grilled when I know the answers.

And hormones! Ooh! There's so many little abbreviated names and it's crazy thinking in molecular terms again (I thought we left that behind in the Basic Sci module) but it's so fascinating!

Especially with one lecturer who is ace! He's not even a clinician and yet I'm all gooey over him. He knows his hormones though! And he makes it sound so simple; at least to me. Make one, which makes this bit make that one, which makes this tissue do that. So cool!

I can't wait to get to grips with clinical! Learning anatomy and systems in normality is all very well, but I wanna get into patients and pathologies!!! Normal systems are for physiologists.

I'm just totally gushing in this post.
Summary: Jelly goes 'Aaahh' over the body beautiful.

No comments: