Wednesday 22 July 2009

Yelp, Wail, HiLo, *snap*

Another day with the nee-naws :D This time on teh Community Response Car, so I've only seen 4 calls in 14 hours.

89YOF - angina, dizziness, nausea. Relieved with GTN and cyclizine. Transported by truck.
87YOM - welfare check for fall yesterday (refused transport to hosp). Demented as a duck, but physically fine.
60YOF - tripped over doorstep ?#tib/fib. Swollen ankle with anterior protuberance. I wanted to poke, but restrained myself. I did the BP by myself though! :D
89YOF - fell off chair. Unharmed. Picked up. Put back in chair.

So... I learnt that old people fall a lot. And that drawing up saline syringes for cannula flushes is harder than it looks. Also that doing anything with soggy saline'd gloves is almost impossible.

And doing ANYTHING with a patient is terrifying! I got left alone to do obs on our #ankle while our CP went to the car for entonox, and even connecting the cuff up to the machine was tricky! The only pulse I could find in her feet was my own.

Fingers crossed for a busy night shift tomorrow. I still have half a billion different cases to tick off my mental list. Old faller, haematemesis, fracture, and convulsion don't make much of a dent in it...

Quite glad I didn't do this placement before I started med school, or I think I'd have dropped out and gone to para school instead.

No comments: